Happy (late) 4th of July all! I hope you’ve had a wonderful long weekend. I didn’t have anything spectacular planned for the weekend, which is unfortunate since I’ve seen about a million pictures of everyone ever frolicking on the beach or on a lake. I need to start making friends based solely on whether they have a lake house or not (lol) (kinda).
It’s all good though – turns out I need to take a summer course in physiology this summer before beginning my masters program this Fall, so I’ll have homework again starting next week! 😳 #terrifying. I’ve gotten veryy used to not having anything to do when I come home but relax. So I’ve been enjoying one last TV binge, Game of Thrones style. Yes, this is my first time watching. And no, I haven’t been living under a rock – I actually read the books already, and I just got my parents HBO Go password 👍😊.
I have been eating these tacos allll week. They are seriously good. Like for real, probably my favorite dish on this blog yet. And yeah, obvi they’re not vegetarian, but if you’re gonna indulge your meat cravings, coconut shrimp is the way to go IMHO. And shrimp is one of the cheaper seafood you can buy, as well as being versatile and super easy to cook.
These tacos are what I want to eat in the summertime. Grab a craft beer and you have a well rounded meal 😉 I hope you’ll try them!
For the shrimp:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, more as needed for frying shrimp
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk+1 tbsp vinegar)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup panko
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
For the slaw:
- Half of a 14 oz bag of coleslaw mix
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp honey (optional, for more sweetness if desired)
- To make the slaw, whisk together all ingredients and add the coleslaw mix at the end. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- To make the batter for the shrimp, add flour to a large bowl.
- Add in the egg, buttermilk, sriracha, salt and pepper to the flour. Whisk to combine well.
- To make the coating for the shrimp, combine panko and coconut flakes in a large shallow bowl or plate
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high. Oil should completely cover the bottom of the pan, but not too much as we aren’t deep frying!
- Working in batches, dip shrimp into batter then coconut coating, and add to the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side – they cook quickly!
- Once golden brown and crispy, remove shrimp and drain on plate w paper towel. Repeat until all shrimp are cooked.
- To assemble: spread tortilla with a spoonful of sauce. Top with slaw, then add about 3 shrimp to each. Garnish w cilantro if desired.
- Grab a beer and enjoy!