Alright, we need to talk about this amazing naan flatbread I made the other day. Now, I am not usually the type to go off-recipe, but this spontaneous creation was a real treat. I went a little crazy this past week with making stuff from scratch – I learned how to make homemade greek yogurt, and made up a batch of my favorite homemade naan bread. Does anyone else get almost a physical craving to cook or bake something? It’s like an itch that I get (often at night) and I just need to create something. Anyway, that’s how a lot of my experiments happen 🙂
By the way it’s definitely not necessary to make these things from scratch, but it does pay off when it comes to your bank account! Literally I made an entire crockpot of yogurt for about $3. Considering that a much smaller container of store-bought greek yogurt will set you back about $4, it’s something I am so excited to share with you all soon.
So, once I had the naan and the yogurt made, I started thinking about what I could pair with them. I had roasted up some sweet potatoes, and had a jar of marinara sauce in my cupboard. It sounded like a good combination to me! Simple and healthy. And, since I will add a fried egg to the top of anything if given the chance, I decided to do it.
The result? A simple, customizable, and satisfying Indian-inspired flatbread.
Ingredients (for 4 flatbreads):
4 pieces Naan bread
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
½ cup marinara sauce
1 large sweet potato
½ tbsp curry powder
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp lime juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cilantro for garnish
- Begin by roasting the sweet potato. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and chop the sweet potato into small cubes. Toss with the olive oil, chili powder, and salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a cooking sheet and bake for ~25 minutes, or until fork tender and browned.
- While the sweet potato cooks, make the curried yogurt by mixing the greek yogurt vigorously with the curry powder and lime juice. Set aside.
- Warm the naan bread in the microwave or oven, then spread with a layer of marinara sauce.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, top the flatbread with a layer of sweet potato. Then, top with fried egg.
- Drizzle some of the curried yogurt on top of the flatbread, then garnish with cilantro.